Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Here you go, Kristen!!

This post is for Kristen over at Sweet Horse's Breath. :-) About a week ago, we were "chatting" over at Sarah's blog (Miles on Miles). Sarah's dogs were having some skin irritation issues and I mentioned that my sister makes her hound dogs a special stew. Kristen asked for the recipe, but I thought I would post it in case anyone else was interested. I am actually glad that I now have this recipe....I was dependent on my sister giving me some of hers. :-)

So, Kristen....all the way from Africa (my sister is traveling).....here you go!

"Here is the dog stew recipe with rough estimates of quantities:

base: 1 small turnip (or half a large one) 1 sweet potato, 2 small white potatoes, 1 parsnip, 1 celery stalk options:
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice cubed (I prefer to choose meats that are considered traditional for my breed -- you can google to find one, mine came from Animal Wellness magazine)
  • 2 or 3 additional veggie options (I either use up the veggies in my fridge or use the frozen California mix -- cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, but green beans are also excellent. There are some veggies not suitable to dogs, so google Animal Wellness to find out which ones).
Other ingredients:
  • fresh rosemary (promotes good heart health)
  • garlic (helps with the immune system)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Put everything in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 3.5 hours. If you are worried about your dog's weight, then remove the root veggies -- sweet and white potatoes and the turnip and add brown rice afterward (I tend to store the brown rice separately because it tends to 'spoil' when mixed and stored with the stew for more than a day or two)."

I am telling you, this stuff smells delish when it's cooking! My sister separates the stew into weekly portions and freezes what she's not using. Mix a couple of heaping tablespoons of this stuff with a good kibble and your dogs will never leave you!!!

9 comments:

  1. I think your dogs eat better than I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO stealing this! Thanks:p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat this well, geez I might just make some up for myself.

    On the rare occasions that we dog sit for my dad, my husband will boil up some chicken broth to mix into the dog's food. He loves it and gobbles it down. He'd probably pass out from ecstasy if he had this stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *drool* Don't have dogs but methinks this will go down a treat, especially in this weather!! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon! I am sure this recipe doesn't have to be just for dogs! :-) My sister puts me to shame....I only give my guys steamed veggies with their kibble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am DEFINITELY trying this recipe. It sounds great. I like that you can make bunches and then freeze it, doling out just what you need. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My chow hounds would love this stew! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just saw this! Tell your sister many many many thanks (and to u too for tracking it down!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annette and GHM - Your dogs will love it.

    Kristen - my pleasure! Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete